Have you been wondering what you can do to teach your kids about recycling at home? If so, you aren’t alone. Many parents struggle to come up with kid-friendly ways to talk to kids about recycling. After all, the more fun the learning process is, the more likely kids are to retain what you teach them. Fortunately, you don’t have to put a lot of thought into teaching kids more about recycling. Just use some of these creative ideas.
Play a Recycling Game
It’s common for people to focus on the kitchen when they talk about recycling with their children. However, you can find recyclable materials throughout your home. So, try playing an I-Spy-type game with your kids.
- Take your children into a random room in your house.
- Quickly count how many items that are in plain site and can be recycled.
- Tell your kids how many items that you see. Then, let them find the items. If they find all of the items, they win the game.
- Reward them with something simple, such as stickers. Also, give them an extra sticker for every item that they find that you didn’t count.
Repurpose Recyclable Objects Into a Game
You can also repurpose recyclable items from your home into a game. Not only does this help you teach your kids about recycling, it shows them that you don’t always have to purchase new toys to have something new and entertaining. So, try making a simple game like this:
- Peel the labels off of six to 10 clear water bottles. Then, fill them up with water.
- Put a few drops of food coloring to the bottles to make the “pins” fun colors. Then, twist the caps onto each bottle.
- Shake the bottle to mix the food coloring into the water.
- Create a pyramid shape out of the bottles by stacking them on top of each other.
- Let the kids throw a soft ball or bean bags at the bottles to knock them down.
Make Recycling Bins
Making recycling bins for various types of recyclable items is a great way to make learning about recycling fun. It also makes it easy for little kids to recycle items on their own, because they can look at the pictures on the bins to determine where to place each recyclable item they find.
- Purchase bins for each type of item that you want to recycle.
- Give the kids some paper and crayons.
- Tell the kids to draw a picture of each type of recyclable item.
- Tape the pictures they draw on the bins.
For more information about recycling, contact B-P Trucking Inc. or a similar company.